- There is a January Sale on the print book for UK readers and on the e-book for UK nations and manyother countries!!!
- The author of 'Building Passions', Nick von Behr, gave a Christmas lecture on his book in Canterbury, England in December 2019. Please contact email@example.com for all talk requests in 2020.
- If you buy the book via Canterbury Christ Church University Bookshop you will get a £3.50 (c. 25%) discount on the retail price.
SUMMARY OF THE BOOK
The book Building Passions: Brunel, Barry and 'modern' Victorian architecture).is about the shared story of two families of 19th-century engineers and architects who were passionate about building what would become iconic Victorian structures. One family was the Brunels. The other family was the Barrys.
Most of the built structures the Brunels and Barrys produced and which are covered in the book are still with us and include:
- Tower Bridge, London
- The Houses of Parliament including Big Ben, London
- Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol
- The Royal Opera House and Floral Hall, London
- Paddington Station, London
- Thames Tunnel, London
- Box Tunnel, Wiltshire
- Highclere Castle (location of "Downton Abbey") and Cliveden House, Berkshire
- The Travellers and Reform Clubs, London
The book also links the Brunels and Barrys to these significant built structures:
- The Crystal Palace, London (has since disappeared)
- The Grange, Ramsgate, UK
- Oriel Chambers, Liverpool, UK
- The Red House, Beckenham, UK
- The Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
- Hotel Tassel, Brussels, Belgium
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai, UAE